Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Review: Yurbuds Inspire Ironman Series earphones

Ciao netizens!


Recently, I have been looking for a really good pair of earphones, specifically one that can accompany me through my workouts. It affects the quality of my workout, so it bums me out. I seriously need a great pair of workout earphones, specially made for workout. So I have been searching around the net of what's good and what's not. 
 I had a toss up between Adidas and Yurbuds. Eventually, I ended up purchasing Yurbuds Inspire


So obviously, if you haven't figured it out yet from the title, this post is mainly all about the Yurbuds Inspire Ironman Series.


So let's get on with the hard facts.
  • It has the TwistLock technology which means it is guaranteed never to fall out during workouts.
  • It also has FlexSoft comfort fit which means it won't hurt your ears.
  • It is Sweat and water-resistant.
  • Designed to allow more ambient noise than most other earphones at the same volume levels.
  • Exceptional sound quality.
  • 15mm speaker with dynamic drivers 20Hz-20kHz frequency response and Neodymium magnet.
  • What's inside the box: 1 pair of Yurbuds earphones, 1 extra pair of rubber tips, 1 nylon carrying pouch.
So we got down and dirty with the facts and features of the item, let's see how it will do on our review board.

Features
4 out of 5

I was very impressed at the features when I decided to buy this over other pairs of sport earphones. Especially, the sweat and water resistant part. Before I got this pair, I was battling with my Samsung earplugs, Skull candy earplugs, Cowon BBE headphones, or even my apple earphones. They just wouldn't stay on!

But this one, since it was apparently Made by athletes for the athletes, I'd expect it to be just for sports. Which is quite true. I went on a run and it did not leave my ears not even once. Very impressive.

Another likable feature is that it doesn't completely block out ambient noise. Which is needed, for safety purposes, especially when you go outside to run. You would definitely want to hear that car behind you honking. Or that dog running behind and barking at you.

Lastly, I was disappointed at the sound quality this is giving me. I have been misled by the other reviews boasting that this pair of earphones would give me excellent sound quality. For the lack of a better comment, I could say, the sound is shit. I am also an audiophile, so my ears are quite sensitive. Quality bass is missing on these. Treble doesn't even sound good, and high pitch isn't pleasant to the ears. 

I think this is because of the ambient sound feature. Some of the air is going in through my ear and so my music compensates. I had to tweek around my Cowon J3, God bless the engineers of Cowon for BBE technology, just to get bearable sound quality. And then, the sound quality was so horrible, I switched back to my Studio beats when I got home.

Design
3 out of 5

The design I guess is "Eh." It has these weird rubber ear plugs that are sort of "In-ear." And I guess these rubber tips are the ones responsible for the grip even if you are sweating. It's large. I got the Black Ironman Series, which is how I like it, very simple. However, too simple that I kind of regret not getting the black and red version right now.

What I do like though is the cloth covered wires. It also kind of helps in making the pair of earphones tangle resistant. You know, when your wires get tangled up in your bag and you ended up pulling all the wires not knowing that you are probably damaging your own pair of earphones? Less of those now. It's not perfect. Yet. I would appreciate it though if Yurbuds would further develop this aspect of design (which I understand peeks out on their latest signature series, lamichael series Yurbuds).

Comfort
undecided

The package comes with an extra set of rubber tips just for the people who had bigger ears. As a girl, I do have incredibly small ears, and even the smaller rubber tips are stretching my ear canals. Yurbuds is not liable for this, since I would've gone for the Yurbuds for women.

I haven't used it in more than a month, so I wouldn't know how it would feel like in the longer run. The rubber might get softer, and in turn a more comfortable fit, or the rubber might get brittle or something, thinking of the most bizarre possibilities.


Conclusion
4 out of 5


This pair of earphones can be purchased in different sports utility stores, the apple store, and online at Yurbuds.com. I got mine online. 

The Yurbuds Inspire Ironman Series IS a pair of earphones for athletes. It does what it says it does, which is to not fall out during a workout. Sweat resistant and water resistant. Although to be honest, I really don't know if the water resistant means it will survive if I submerge it in water, probably not, I haven't tried it. It's water resistant, not waterproof. If you happen to try it, hit a comment below. I would like to listen to music while I swim. lol.


The comfort of this pair, is not that impressive. I recommend a more flexible rubber tip, or softer, or i don't know, something that won't stretch my ear canal. Although they do have those customized ones.

As for the sound quality, I did mention that the sound is shit. But in the end, who focuses on the sound quality while you workout? focus on your workout for crying out loud! For a good workout earphone, you wouldn't need HD audio. I'd rather focus on my workout than bring out the audiophile in me, which is reserved only inside my music room. You would want to be alert in your workout (you don't want to get injured by tripping or falling) and you would want to be aware of your surroundings. So, the sound quality you might say can be....somewhat unrestricted in a workout earphone.

And ya know what? if you are so sensitive about the quality of the sound, you can instead remove the rubber tips, toss the Yurbuds, and place the rubber tips in a really good pair of earphones. Which would also mean you just paid for the sweat resistant rubber tips. (which works for me)

This is highly recommended for people who likes to listen to music while working out. It's safe to use even if you are running outside as it does not completely block ambient noise. Safety first! 

PS. The earphones does not have anything to do with the superhero.

Do you agree, or disagree with my review? Have you got a good earphone for sports?
Comment below!

Stay tech savvy! :)
Lenne
Geek Girl Tech

0 comments: